Monday 5 February 2007

some common misconceptions regarding jihad

Jihad means 'struggle', as in strive.

More precisely it means spiritual struggle.

For Islam this encompasses a lot of things. I mean for me, personally, it is about creating an independent space within which I can move and act freely according to my real moral self. That means living beyond the crisis management mode in which we humanfolk often find ourselves.

I do this in a number of ways.

I try to think deeply and comprehensively about what makes up my life, what things mean to me, etc etc, but leaving aside the abstract I mostly try to think ahead and avoid troubles before they start.

I mean I chose to be educated as highly as possible because I'm aware this solves a lot of problems even before they begin, and also, frankly it opens a lot of doors. I tried to pick a career which pays well so I don't have to worry so much about being able to pay my bills. I also picked something I've a natural feeling for, and from which I get satisfaction. That gives me some emotional peace of mind.

It's not everything though, not by a long shot. I have yet to learn how to manage my relationships (as one example) and I'm reliably informed (by everyone) that this can take an entire lifetime to get right, depending on your family and friends. But for me, I take things one step at a time, and do the best I can, that way I can focus of what I think is the important stuff, while knowing the other things are taken care of, and I'm free.

So for me one of the key things about Jihad is the ability to reflect, to have a safe peaceful space in which to consider and act without reactionary pressures, and the ability to choose.

I'm welcome to suggestions for other forms of jihad?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home